Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Some Much Time And So Little To Do

Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it.

Thank you.

I find myself, often times, at a loss as to where to start. Not because I'm unmotivated, nor because I don't have goals.

I have too many.

Take our house, for instance. Do we spend money on landscaping? Do we use that money to build a much needed deck? Finish the basement, so when we have people over, we can shuffle the kids downstairs and let them break THAT part of the house instead of the rest of it?

Maybe we should save the money. Yes, that's the smart thing to do, in these economic times. Save. Don't spend.

With the kid's department it's no different. Should I work on those videos that have been sitting in my office, so we can update the website? Compile the sermons into a cohesive curriculum? Work on the physical space, so the kids have a cool, themed environment? Have the Heroic Boys and Beautiful Girls weekends we have put off for a year? Work on that volunteer cookout? Redo the room and set up a Kindergarten class to ease the gap between the 5's class and Faith Kids?

Maybe we should just keep doing what we're doing. After all, it's working. It's not broken. Yes, that's the smart thing to do, in these economic times. Save. Reuse. Don't spend.

...

...

Yeah, I can't do that. I can't sit. I can't just not do anything. Ask my wife. I'm in horrible moods when I don't have my hands on some kind of plow. 3 years straight with 3 albums and a huge club curriculum, and I figured I needed some "time off".

...

...

Yeah, I can't do that. I, probably like most of you, need something to do. It's not boredom, persay, it's just a feeling of uselessness. I find that I'm at my most creative when I'm in the process of being creative. If there isn't a goal to attain, I feel like I'm filling up a pool with a big hole in the side.

So, I'll just do it all. Isn't that the Walsh way, after all? Have a baby, move into a new house, write a show, run a ministry all during Christmas?

Landscaping, done. Onto the deck.

RED music book done. Onto YELLOW.

Contacts made in the industry. Onto follow-up.

If you are feeling like you are in a rut, it's quite possible that you have too many things to do, or too many things that you think you could do, or have to do. Pick one. Do it. Move on.

That's what you do with your nose, why should your goals be any different?

2 comments:

  1. Ok, ew on the nose thing...but is THAT what's been bugging you lately? Good grief. I have many projects I can assign you. All ya had to do was ask. I had no idea snapping you out of this funk was so easy!!

    :) I also have a few creative projects on my plate...and I am just like you...when I can't work on them, I get really crabby.

    (That's why I'm crabby every day, in case you were wondering.) :) I heart you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam...I SOOO appreciate this post! God has plans for us all in those projects that we have yet to tackle...no matter how big or small.

    ReplyDelete