Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Oh, This Is Good Stuff.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm a leadership junkie.

I have recently purchased a new book by Bill Hybels, entitled AXIOM. Powerful Leadership Proverbs, it says on the front. I started glancing through it last week, and really dove into it today. It's meaty, relational, accessible and personal.

And that was just the first two "proverbs". Here's a sneak peek:

"The nature of human beings is such that we tend not to drift into better behaviors. We usually have to be asked by someone to consider taking it up a level. In my own life, I've rarely made a sizable step forward -- spiritually, physically, emotionally, or otherwise -- unless someone asked me to do so."

Makes you think. Made me think. I tended to think that I was putting people out by asking them to jump on board with a project, or a vision for the ministry. They don't have the time, I would reason. I'd be putting them out, I would think. Or, one of the biggest ones, what if they say 'no'. The truth of the matter is that on the whole, people are flattered when you ask them to participate in something, especially something big, and MORE especially (especially-er) if it's something for God.

People are flattered when thought of. Aren't you?

I am doing a walk to raise money for AIDS, and we have giveaway baskets. I thought of you, and was wondering if you could donate your kids' CD's to the basket.

Heck, yes!

I want to create a kid's choir, and I'm not sure where to start. Could you help me get started, maybe help me plan some ideas for enrollment and rehearsals?

You know it!

So why, then, do I balk at asking people to step it up? Why do you, then, oh Ye Faithful Eight Readers, hesitate to ask people for things? Favors? Money? Skills? Input?

I think it's because we don't know them. We don't know their skills, and we don't know what they can and can't do. Shoot, they might not even know it. When you know your people and God places a plan in your path, then you're more apt to get that face in your mind's eye, the divine fit, the ohmygoshthey'dbePERFECTforthis moment. Once you know them, rethink your plan, and see who God wants to use to make it happen.

You'll begin to see things in people that they don't see in themselves. You'll be the one to ask them to step up. Take more responsiblity. And honestly, you'll be okay with them saying 'no', if they do. You are bound to be obedient to God's prompting to ask, not bound to forcing someone to do something.

Oh, this stuff is good. I've always been a quick "coach to court" leader. What the coach corrects on the bench during a timeout in the game I walk out on the court and do it.

I'm going to re-read this post, re-read that second chapter, and then see what I can do about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment