Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Freedom

This is an excerpt from a weekly pick-me-up I send to our leadership team...thought it fit good here!


In my devotional this morning (which is downloaded on my new Sony eReader, btw), there was a pretty funny story that I'd like to share:

"A man once escaped from prison by digging his way out through a tunnel and breaking through the floor of preschool daycare facility.

The prisoner shouted, 'I'm free! I'm free!' to which a preschooler replied, 'Well, I'm four.'"

The rest of the teaching for the morning talks about how the Jews understood what kind of freedom Jesus was preaching, about as much as the preschooler understood the prisoner. Do we really know what true freedom is? Would we know it if it busted through our floor and shouted at us? The kind of freedom that the Bible teaches is, in my opinion, a little hard to grasp. We are so bound by the trappings of this world that it's hard to quote-unquote 'break free', or enjoy real, I mean real freedom.

Freedom from worry, Matthew 6:25-31.
Freedom from death and decay, Romans 8:21.
Freedom from concerns, 1 Corinthians 7:32.

Freedom from the constraints of the Law, freedom from servitude, freedom from an unhealthy thought life, you name it. Jesus did not come here to replace the Law, He came to fulfill it. And the way that He fulfills it for us is to remove us from having to jump through religious hoops in order to curry God's favor. We're free from animal sacrifices, thank God. PETA would have a field day. We're free. Imagine if there was a day where you didn't worry about something or other. Imagine if there wasn't anything that popped up in the day to completely wreck your schedule (and therefore your mood) that you couldn't handle or flow with. Imagine a peaceful home, even though you have four kids and a dog.

And a husband.

Complete freedom. Outstretched arms, sun-warmed face, mountain shouting freedom.

You can have it. Just let Jesus conquer the space between your ears....because that's where all of your battles are anyway. I'd encourage you to think about what your life would be like if you lived completely free. I'm not talking off-the-grid, no Social Security number, grow your own crops and stockpile your own guns freedom, I'm talking clear direction, focus of thought, positive, self-affirming thinking, You can do it. You can handle it.

Freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment