Thursday, April 22, 2010

Steve Guttenberg

One of my favorite bands, if not my all time favorite, is No More Kings.

I was turned on to them by our sound guy at church (who I think spends the service looking online for out of the way, out of the box music) and since I first heard "Sweep The Leg", I'm totally hooked.



Hilarious, funky, tight, driven rock. It's a thing of beauty. They'll sing about becoming zombies (Now I slide down the streeet, with no shoes on my feet, lookin' for brains to eat...), they'll sing about the geeks in their basements playing D & D (you keep on dissin' me, my low dexterity...wait until you hear the chorus..oh, yeah, it's a critical hit, my main man did double damage with it), or one of my latest joys, Robots Don't Cry.

It's a tribute to Number 5, the beloved robot from the movie Short Circuit, starring a feather haired Ally Sheedy, a young Fisher Stevens (that's your George Minkowski on LOST, btw) and a grinning man among men, Steve Guttenberg. Here are some lyrics, and you can listen to it HERE...

There's no reason to look under the hood
A slight malfunction doesn't mean I'm no good
I won't be shut down, I'm not ready to die
I said that I was sorry, but robot don't cry

(Hold on)
The very thought of losing out now
Is making me tremble
(Hold on)
I am alive, I am alive, I am alive
(Hold on)
Please just give me a chance now
No disassemble
(Hold on)
I am alive
I am alive

Hah. No Disassemble. The cherry that seals this cake of a song is the last 10 seconds, where it breaks down into a sax driven funk riff...and as if it were meant to fit perfectly in the song, the lead singer sings...

"Steve Guttenberg".

I laughed out loud, backed up the track, and laughed out loud again. I don't know what I have to do, but everyone I know HAS to experience No More Kings for themselves. Not only are they incredible musicians, not ONLY are their albums impeccable produced, NOT ONLY do they write lyrically about ridiculous things...their songs are just flat fun to listen to.

Just my two cents. Or, as Anthony would say, "I'm just sayin'."

No comments:

Post a Comment